LIMITLESS SPIRIT

Yogagodess is about the potentiality of our divine nature. On this path I am more a student than a teacher always. As the path lengthens, it narrows and more is left behind.

Monday, August 1, 2011

AVIDYA IS ANANDA



The more I learn, the less I know.


Recently I passed my five year mark in teaching yoga. I love looking back at those first few classes. I was SO fearful but felt I had SO much to offer from my experience and yoga practice. I remember being gripped in FEAR when I had to walk in those first ten or so classes and try to lead a 90 minute Hot yoga class. I am sure I tripped over my language, had horrible timing, and messed up quite a few times. I think that FEAR comes from being a little absorbed in, well, MYSELF. It wasn't until I let go of ME in teaching, and starting realizing this is an act of seva. I have to be there for the students FIRST. That is what really makes a good yoga class, but is probably the hardest lesson for a novice teacher. And as you continue to move into your comfort level, the:


EGO will come back into play. Oh, yes it will. Then the class will feel sucky to the teacher. Then you learn the next act in teaching, removing yourself. Look from the outside. Sit on the ceiling, look in the window, OBSERVE, be a SEER.


In any teaching capacity, people are looking to you for some level of KNOWLEDGE. In yoga, that can come in many forms. Many students are looking for spiritual insight. They want to learn to live their lives better and they are hoping you can help them. This is a HUGE responsibility.


Others want to learn PERFECT PRETTY POSES, in perfect alignment. They are looking for the correct method.


Some want to have fun and play.


All of this is good, but no one can offer it all. Well a few can, the REAL masters of yoga. I am really into Anusara now and think John Friend does a good job of all this and makes it look effortless and I know it isn't. It is hard.


Knowledge is really just what you know RIGHT NOW. You know more than before and you will learn more. Patience is one of the harder skills in yoga. People who come to the mat with patience never struggle in yoga. It is a beautiful thing to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment