LIMITLESS SPIRIT

Yogagodess is about the potentiality of our divine nature. On this path I am more a student than a teacher always. As the path lengthens, it narrows and more is left behind.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

YOGA SHOES



These shoes remind me of ballroom dancing shoes. I knew there was a way I could incorporate my ever expanding dancing skills into yoga. I could brand it into BallGaRoom Dancing. YoBallroom Dancing. Any ideas? I can't do the bind to get into this pose and I wish I had worked on it during all of those hundreds of Bikram classes I did. I could have practiced the bind in what Bikram refers to as Tadasana instead of folding my hands in Namaskar. Probably would have gotten yelled at though since it isn't proper Bikram.

As I have stated, lotus type of hip rotations are a struggle for me. Practicing these types of movements standing as well as sitting are a great way to practice and expand the whole area of flexibility into the hip joint. I love standing pigeons and they are much harder than the normal one laying on the floor.

I have students who can get into this pose with no problem. They can bind and are flexible in the hip rotators AND the hamstrings. So this is a BIG opener pose. It is very Ashtanga Primary Series, which I love. I couldn't do it when I practiced only Ashtanga either.

The SHOES though take it to a new level.....allowing you to stretch a little higher in the hamstrings and really releasing the low back. Very pretty in the heels! Don't try this at home!

My practice was very basic Tias Little today, which is very Ashtanga/Iyengar based and always makes me more mindful about standing poses we do every day. It is very easy just to move through them not staying conscious to what the pose really is doing. Standing poses root you into the lower chakras AND open the hips, inner leg, and outer leg TIGHT fascia, which really helps to open you when you get to the seated poses.

I am signing up for a weekend with Tias in November which is a weekend of Anatomy of the Chakras. Can't wait.

No heels in class this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment