LIMITLESS SPIRIT

Yogagodess is about the potentiality of our divine nature. On this path I am more a student than a teacher always. As the path lengthens, it narrows and more is left behind.

Friday, June 10, 2011

MY FIRST TEACHERS




My first practice was entirely home practice. On VHS. DVDs were not around and there were very few classes in my town. That is Bryan Kest in the first pic instructing Sean Corn as a young student. I have worked with both in real workshops. Probably never would have thought it when I stumbled through the Kest tapes. The very first one I had though was the Ali McGraw tape with Eric Schiffman as the teacher. He has an awesome voice and it was filmed in that white sand and blue sky scene. All the students wore white and floated through the practice.


I never thought back then I could do what these people were doing in the tapes. I thought I had started late in life, but because I was consistent, finally moved into a studio and then through many teacher trainings, my practice improved and what I can do now surpasses what I thought was possible.


It is beautiful to see people in their youth practice, but there is a richness and focus in my older students that is astounding. They really appreciate what their bodies and minds are capable of and seem to want to soak in as much as they can and to learn as much as they can.


When we are young we have all the time in the world to breeze through our practice or whatever our dharma is but as we get older, we realize there is more we can do than we can't do. People who think otherwise are half dead.


When I worked with Ana Forrest last year I remember her saying that she too wondered if she would be able to do less with age, but she said she is still experiencing strength and agility through her diligent practice. I needed to hear that. I doubted it in myself somewhat at the time, but less than a year later, I am much stronger, focused, and healthy.


As Bob Dylan says, may you stay forever young.




No comments:

Post a Comment