LIMITLESS SPIRIT

Yogagodess is about the potentiality of our divine nature. On this path I am more a student than a teacher always. As the path lengthens, it narrows and more is left behind.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

YOGA ATTENTION WHORES

My thoughts are provoked on the marketing of the yoga teacher. I work for two studios. One studio expects me to be VERY aggressive on marketing my classes and tweeting my daily theme and Facebooking studio sales etc. I don't mind this but to be honest when I open Facebook and I see teachers constantly marketing their goods I do feel it is a bit self-aggrandizing. But social networking is what it is all about and I do find a lot of good ideas for future theming/workshops etc. One issue I have with it is the consumption of time and it seems to lack in humility, which I value spiritually. So this is what I came down to in order to make everyone, including myself comfortable.

I will market the studios sales, specials, goods, and events.

I will post ads about upcoming workshops that I (or fellow teachers) are doing.

I will not put a daily theme and ad up. I am sorry. If you like my class, you are already coming. If I don't get 60 people in class that is fine. Word of mouth works well and my class is not for everyone.

If I do have a special theme for class for the week, I will FB or tweet and now blog it, but that will not be a daily/weekly theme.

I finally decided I have to do what it comfortable for myself. I also have gotten burned a bit. I have had other teachers locally come to my classes and then put it out on social networking the next week as their theme/intention etc. I guess it is flattering, but again, I am not comfortable with it.

Another problem I have is that I might theme a hip opener class and then walk in the studio and am not feeling it for this particular group. I have learned to trust my intuition A LOT on this. I like to write out sequencing but have had to throw it out if I feel the class energetically or physically need something else that day. Sometimes I don't get that until I get into class and then it is fly by the seat of my pantsasana out of necessity.

Today is such a day people. You get what you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment